Saturday, December 11, 2010

Babywearing


Let's talk about babywearing! As with sleep sharing, there has been some negative media about babywearing. There have been some really unfortunate incidences that has brought some criticism over babywearing. When practiced properly, babywearing is completely safe. So let me start this post off by reiterating some safety measures for wearing your baby. Make sure you pay attention to baby's breathing while you are wearing him, if his breathing becomes shallow or raspy, take him out of your sling/carrier and readjust the positioning. Be sure that baby's chin is not pressed to his chest as this will compress his airway. Dress baby lightly because your body heat will keep baby sufficiently warm, you don't want baby to become overheated. If baby begins to feel clammy or sweaty, take him out for a little while, maybe think about adjusting your thermostat or removing a layer of clothing. 

Here is my youngest child enjoying some time in our Moby Wrap. With more than one child, I find my baby carrier to be a necessity! My baby is always easily accessible but it also allows me to still do things like go the playground with my older child!

For more information on the many benefits of wearing your baby please take a look at this link:


2 comments:

  1. It's worth mentioning that there are concerns about wearing babies facing out in slings too - see http://www.slingguide.co.uk/frontcarries.php for more info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for submitting this link :) I will research it some more.

    ReplyDelete