Friday, December 10, 2010

My favorite tips for soothing a "FUSSY" baby

Both of my children were what most would call a "fussy" or "colicky" babies. As one of my favorite parenting resources, Dr. Sears, puts it... I have been blessed with "high needs" children. LOL. I would like to share some of my favorite tricks and tips that I have found that worked for us!


  • Breastfeeding on demand: Whilst very time consuming for Mommy, and sometimes tiring, I've found that offering the breast at every sign of fussiness really helps! It doesn't always work... But most breastfed babies find that comfort nursing is very, well... comforting! :)



  • Babywearing: The best thing my husband every gave me, was my Moby Wrap! I swear, I could not live without it! There are so many proven benefits to babywearing! If you don't believe me... Try wearing your baby for a day and see how much happier he/she is! Not to mention that you can get so much more done with two free hands! You can even nurse with baby in a sling!



  • Swaddling: With my first child, swaddling was something that I hadn't really figured out. Nowadays, they make most blankets too small for swaddling any baby over 7lbs! Ha ha. With my second baby, I am a pro! My favorite blankets for swaddling are sold at Target by Aden and Anais. They are really big, and a really thin, woven, cotton so baby doesn't get too overheated.



  • Sleep Sharing: I found that with both my kids, I get much more sleep with baby in the bed with me. The second they stir, I have a breast ready and waiting! Much faster and easier for getting them right back to sleep! And "high needs" babies seem to do better when they know Mommy is close. Please see my post on SAFE sleep sharing!



  • Reflux: Some babies who are fussy are simply suffering from reflux. Reflux babies don't like to lie flat, so try some of the tips that most of the parenting guru's recommend... 

1.  Make sure you properly position your baby during feedings, with their head elevated. This can sometimes be tricky while nursing. I found that using the "football" hold was helpful for this. If your baby does indeed suffer from reflux you may want to avoid a "side lying" hold as it is more difficult to prop baby's head. If you share sleep with baby and find it easier to use this position to nurse for nighttime feedings you may want to try propping your baby's head up on your arm (this takes some practice).
2.  Make sure you efficiently burp your baby after every feeding. Excess gas can make reflux worse for your baby!
3.  Hold your baby upright for 30 minutes after each and every feeding. This gives baby time to digest the milk beyond their stomach. In a baby under 6 months, the valve that seals the top of the stomach closed doesn't fully function yet, so the goal is keeping the milk down in baby's tummy!
4.  Invest in a Nap Nanny it is a great contraption! It is a piece of foam shaped into a baby sleeping device. It keeps baby's head elevated to a 30 degree angle, optimal for reflux baby's! Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions! It is only for use on the floor, not inside a crib or on elevated surfaces!

5.  If all else fails, try talking to your pediatrician about trying some medications for reflux. Both my kids spent some time on Zantac, which really helped!


  • Routine: I found that with both my kids, trying to have some sort of a routine for them to rely on really helped. My daughter LOVES bath time. So I try to have a bedtime routine of playtime, bath time, massage, feeding... BED! She knows when we take a bath, sleep is not far off!



  • Lay baby down when DROWSY, not when fully asleep! Starting at 6 weeks, you should make sure that you rock/nurse baby only until he/she is drowsy NOT when fully asleep. That way they learn how to fall asleep on their own. So they are not dependent on you every single time. It really works! For more sleep tips, you should really read "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment